Saturday, March 9, 2013

Review: Gone by Lisa McMann

Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her. She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves—she has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both.

Then a stranger enters her life--and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out...

Things should be great for Janie—she has graduated from high school and is spending her summer with Cabel, the guy she’s totally in love with. But deep down she’s panicking about how she’s going to survive her future when getting sucked into other people’s dreams is really starting to take its toll.

Things get even more complicated when she meets her father for the very first time—and he’s in a coma. As Janie uncovers his secret past, she begins to realize that the choice thought she had has more dire consequences than she ever imagined.

Title: Gone
Series: Dream Catcher #3
Published February 9th 2010 by Simon Pulse (first published February 9th 2009)
ISBN: 1416979182 (ISBN13: 9781416979180)

First off, the pictures I've shown above are the same as the covers of the copies I own, they changed them and personally I think the guy on the cover of Fade looks a little creepy, so, I rather use these. I did decide to include both of the overviews....only because now I can talk about her father.

When starting the book, I decided I loved the beginnings of these books, because they flow so well. You end one book and the next picks up from there, which I don't think most do. I still don't think the writing is choppy, it flows well too.

Janie truly realizes all of the people that are there for her in this book, some are new. Cabel wasn’t always there for her in the past, but now he’s truly decided that she’s the one for him and that he’ll go to all lengths to protect her, keep her happy, give her space, whenever, whatever she needs, he’ll always be there for her. Cabel’s brother, Charlie and his wife, Megan, will also try to help Janie however they can. Megan is incredibly sweet, I wish she made a few more appearances, or was in earlier books.
While Janie’s mother isn’t that great of a parental figure, Captain Fran Komisky is. She lets her make her make her own choices, but she gives her advice on many things (including her relationship with Cabel, they don’t always communicate their problems and feelings, aww). She tells Janie that they’re all family, and that she doesn’t have to be embarrassed of her mother because the entire team will be there for her. Carrie makes a few appearances, always just when Janie needs her (or when Janie’s mother needs her), on another note, her relationship with Stu seems to be going strong, and at first I honestly wasn’t so sure about them.

Janie’s father is introduced, and I can’t say much without revealing anything so, I’ll just say that I think adding his character was an amazingly good idea. It adds some insight into the relationship of her parents.

This book is mostly Janie’s own journey, discovering more about being a dream catcher and the difficult choices that she will have to make. I really liked how her choice was connected to the Morton’s fork reference.

I’m not the biggest fan of the ending, but I think it was well written. It almost feels as though there is going to be another book. I do agree with this being the last book, I’m not sure that another would be a good idea. I still love these books.

It's always sad when a series ends.
Book Nerd and Proud,
K.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment