Saturday, March 16, 2013

Review: Remembrance by Michelle Madow

Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy.

Title: Remembrance
Series: Transcend Time Saga #1
Published July 27th 2011 by Dreamscape Publishing (first published July 25th 2011)
ISBN: 0615512445 (ISBN13: 9780615512440)
Barnes & Noble|Amazon

Evil boyfriends piss me off, why can’t you just treat a girl right? But, I suppose that’s all part of a good book; it can make you feel for the characters and the plot, make you wish that the world they were in was different, or that their lives could be slightly easier, because connecting with the characters and their stories must be my favorite part of reading.

Lizzie’s boyfriend isn’t exactly evil, but I’m not fond of him whatsoever. Jeremy know she hates speeding in a car, yet he proceeds to constantly driving extremely fast while she’s in the car. He also know she’s insecure about her French skills, yet he would be the one person laughing at her in class, and when she does better than him on a test he insists that it’s a fluke. Lizzie, being the good person she is, wants to go help her friend Hannah after her breakup with her boyfriend, Sheldon, but Jeremy made the winning score (he plays varsity soccer) and wants her to go to a party with him even once she explained the situation, is a party really more important than her friend in need? I wouldn’t think so. Lizzie has been dating Jeremy for the past 3 years, and supposedly there was a time when he was a great guy, and I guess you could rationalize that if at once he was a great guy that he could be again. Personally, I don’t see that happening.

To make matters worse, not only was I not fond of her boyfriend, but I couldn’t seem to like her best friend either. Chelsea had a relationship with Drew, and Lizzie wants Drew. Now, isn’t that awkward. Hey best friend, I really want your boyfriend, do you mind breaking up with him? Thanks for understanding! Okay, okay, maybe Lizzie isn't that straightforward about it. Chelsea just seemed like she was a lot more worried about her image than Lizzie and Keelie were, but you could stay that they kept each other balanced. Lizzie was quieter, while Chelsea loved attention.

There were times were I didn’t exactly love Drew either, but he’s irresistible, I never truly hated him. Now, Drew was one of the most interesting characters, and I somewhat understand his actions. I still don't really understand him yet, but I think I'll have a better chance to in the next book, I have a feeling that Drew and Lizzie will be spending a bit more time together. And knowing how Lizzie felt for Drew made me like him more:
My feelings for Drew couldn't just disappear. They were ingrained within every fiber of my being, and I needed them just the same as I needed air to breathe.
Keelie, however, is the one person I really didn’t have a problem with at all. I think she would make a better friend than Chelsea, but that’s just my opinion.

Lizzie was very smart, and pretty insightful too, I loved this quote.
Music is powerful; it transforms emotions and experiences into something tangible. Every time you hear a familiar song, the feelings from it bubble to the surface, bringing back memories you might have otherwise forgotten.
I would really recommend reading the detailed character extras in Transcendence, I think it helped me learn a bit more about the characters, and get to know them better.  

The plot was good, and I definitely found it to be character driven. I liked the pacing, it always kept me wanting more and I have plans to read and review the rest of the series. 

Maybe at a later date, I’m not sure, still deciding.
Book Nerd and Proud,
K.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment