Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.


Title: Clockwork Prince

Series: The Infernal Devices #2
Published: December 6th 2011 by Margaret K McElderry Books
ISBN: 1416975888 (ISBN13: 9781416975885)
Barnes&Noble|Amazon

Is it sad that I tried to read this book as slow as possible so it would last longer? I cannot believe after one more book this series will be finished, though one of my good friends tells me that there will be another series, it makes me sad when I will no longer be hearing about these characters. As I have mentioned before, it seems it is hard to write reviews on books that you can't explain in words...all I can say is it was amazing. The plot thickens when there is even more betrayal than the last book, more romance, and even more laughter. And still, I am in love with the fashions. Seems awfully dull compared to the rest of the story, but I can help but wishing I could wear the dresses they describe.

While the search for the Magister continues, Tessa decides to help by using her ability to Change. I'm still on the brink of my chair wondering what on earth Tessa could possible be! Can she really be the child of two things that shouldn't even be able to have children together? 


I was so happy for Sophie! She found someone she loves and makes her heart race, but the question is now will everybody else be more accepting? Oh! And when Charlotte and Henry have their loving moment, my heart melted. Turns out they both thought the other didn't care for them! It was so sweet.


Jem.

Will.
Jem.
Will.
Jem.
Will.
Jem.
Will.
Jem.

My heart is practically in pieces for these two boys. The thought of seeing their faces just makes me want to cry! This is such a tragic love triangle. Must be awful to be in love with the same girl as the person who is practically your brother. I can't wait to find out how things work out in the next book. Also, I am glad that Will no longer has to push people away, which actually comes at a perfect timing if you read the last page of the book...this is me trying not to spoil things!


Tessa is still probably one of my most favorite characters...though that may just because she loves to read....and this makes me want to pick up a classic and see what they're going on about! Though I'm not exactly sure which one I should start with...She is brave, sacrificing, and not some vapid, hollow heroine with no personality. 


You had to know this was coming...more quotes!

"Ah,” said a voice from the doorway, “having your annual ‘everyone thinks Will is a lunatic’ meeting, are you? “It’s biannual,” said Jem. “And no, this is not that meeting."  
"They’re not hideous,” said Tessa.Will blinked at her. “What?”“Gideon and Gabriel,” said Tessa. “They’re really quite good-looking, not hideous at all.”“I spoke,” said Will, in sepulchral tones, “of the pitch-black inner depths of their souls.”Tessa snorted. “And what color do you suppose the inner depths of your soul are, Will Herondale?”“Mauve,” said Will." 
"Trains are great dirty smoky things," said Will. "You won't like it." Tessa was unmoved. "I won't know if I like it until I try it, will I?" "I've never swum naked in the Thames before, but I know I wouldn't like it." "But think how entertaining for sightseers," said Tessa, and she saw Jem duck his head to hide the quick flash of his grin." 
"Reparations,” said Jem very suddenly, setting down the pen he was holding.Will looked at him in puzzlement. “Is this a game? We just blurt out whatever word comes next to mind? In that case mine is ‘genuphobia’. It means an unreasonable fear of knees.”“What’s the word for a perfectly reasonable fear of annoying idiots?” inquired Jessamine."
"Lord, you're Irish," said Will. "Can you make things that don't have potatoes in them? We had an Irish cook once when I was a boy. Potato pie, potato custard, potatoes with potato sauce..." 
"If I might make a suggestion,” said Will. “About twenty paces behind us, in the Council room, is Benedict. If you’d like to go back in there and try kicking him, I recommend aiming upward and a bit to the left—" 
In a moment, I am about to literally go running to my friends house to grab the next book As you can see, I have so many questions about what will happen next...I may die. Of course, I probably say that about most books I read when I cannot wait to read the sequel. 

"It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them." -Will Herondale

Book Nerd and Proud,
C.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment