Saturday, June 22, 2013

Review: Fall for Me by K.A. Last

“Angels aren’t supposed to fall in love, especially with each other. But for the record, you were worth it.”

Grace Tate is a Protection Angel and Vampire Hunter, and she has always followed the rules. But some rules are made to be broken…

Until now the fight against evil has been simple, and falling in love was never part of the plan. So what happens when it’s beyond Grace’s control, and when she least expects it she falls for the wrong person?

All hell breaks loose, that’s what.

At Hopetown Valley High, not everything is as it seems, and the one person Grace thought was her enemy becomes her most important ally.

Blood will be shed, lives will be lost and friendships will be tested. It all comes down to one decision, and when Grace tries to save all those dear to her, she realises not everyone can be—or wants to be—saved.

Title: Fall for Me 
Series: The Tate Chronicals #1 
Published: January 17th 2013
  • ISBN-13: 9780987384904
My one wish would be to keep Archer and my friends safe. I figured if angels and vampires existed, why not genies? I needed to get one of those. 
Grace was a great character, in specific points of the book especially. One of the best examples is when Grace, a protection angel sent on to Earth for two basic purposes: to protect her brother and to kill vampires, is the person trying to protect a vampire with a white soul, someone she believes to be a good person who doesn't deserve to die, yet her superiors in Heaven tell her that she needs to "release its soul" (or something along those lines). Grace hasn't seen said vampire commit any acts of cruelty and decides to protect it, sticking to what she believes in. I loved this part of the book, it shows how everything isn't good or evil, there are lot of gray areas, which is really realistic, and I like that.

Many points in the book I did get a little annoyed with Grace, she's supposed to be a strong protection angel but I would say that she cried more than anyone else in the book, way more than the average human does. Yes, all of this does happen over a week, and I see how it could be very overwhelming, I just wish she wasn't so weepy all of the time.
So much had happened since the first day back at school, was it really just a week ago? I'd fallen in love, betrayed by my home, lost my best friend, hurt Josh, and fallen in love again.
Which also brings me to my next topic, the timing of the events in the book. The book, which is short already at 237 pages (or that's what it was on my nook) seems to try to cram everything in a little too fast. The book is fast paced but I will admit it lost my attention at some spots (could be because I didn't like Josh at all). Grace meets an entire new kind of vampire, falls in love with a guy she's barely said two words to before, has a problem because she kind of likes another guy who she has actually known for a long time, and....I'm afraid to mention the other things, and give away the story, so I won't.

Seth and Grace were best friends, until Seth decides he can't live with Grace but without her love, and he refuses to let her fall for him, so he falls himself and hides how he feels for her. He ends up providing her with some pretty important information, like how angels can be killed (which I found it to be very creative and interesting). I didn't have any problems with Seth, I liked him and I thought it was cute that he tried to protect Grace, in his own way without her knowing.

Josh, however, I did have a few problems with. They both admit that they barely know each other, and haven't even had a real conversation, but they quickly start a relationship and fall in love. At the start of the book Josh is still with his long time girlfriend who he hasn't loved for a while but just didn't find the "right time" to end it. Okay, he was trying not to hurt her, but ended up stringing her along in the process, it isn't the greatest thing to do but I can forgive him. She was a bit shallow, maybe she never had any true feelings for him anyways. Except, he decides to publicly humiliate her, which isn't right at all. You just broke up with her at the beginning of the day, do you truly think she'll be over it by the end of the day? I've never known anyone to move on from a relationship so quickly, even if it didn't have its spark anymore! He just seemed like a bad guy to me, not in the sexy way either. It could be hard to tell Grace and Josh apart, but then I'd hear a mean thought and know it was him.

Sacrifice, the prequel, is supposed to be read after this, but I don't think it gives much away that you don't already know within the first 10 pages. I loved it, I thought it was better than this book. For what I think are two good reasons, it has more Seth, the fallen angel who has fallen for Grace, and it's about when they were still best friends and going on angel missions together. I definitely will read the next book, I have a feeling that the it will be much better.

Sometime this week was my birthday, so happy birthday to me, and everyone else!
Book Nerd and Proud,
K.G.  

No comments:

Post a Comment