Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review: UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn

Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune as an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its next fairy tale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and stop these deadly events, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.






Title: UnEnchanted
Series: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #1
Published: 2011 by Chanda Hahn
ASIN: B006ROK1UM
I really like the cover of this book, which just so happens to be a free eBook on Barnes & Noble and Amazon, so if I were you I'd go pick it up right after I finished reading this wonderful review. I'm glad I decided to read it because it turned out to be a great book, I thought it was about a 4 star book, but then I had to consider that the book wasn't edited. It didn't bother me that much, but at times it would ruin the flow of the story and get annoying.

This is also a very fluffy, stereotypical book. Mina is the ordinary girl, who isn't really pretty and has little to no friends, until she saves Brody from death and he suddenly realizes he needs to be with this girl. He's the most popular guy in school, and a catch for any girl, but now he has fixated on her and they become best friends, the unlikely pair that will get married with a happily ever after. 

Only this book has a twist, one that I love and will not reveal, but great nonetheless. It is definitely part of the reason I am dying to read the next book, but I've heard the third is coming out by the end of this month so I'll try to find the will power to wait until then. When it does come out I will read and review the second and third book, which I do have high expectations for. 

Mina didn't believe in herself in this book, and I would really like that to change. Her younger brother is the next of the Grimm's, he'll get the curse if she doesn't break it and she knows this! She even says that she wants to protect him, yet she relies so heavily on other people, what happens when they're not around? If she wants to stand up for her brother she first has to learn how to stand up for herself. 

Nan is a beautiful girl who is Mina's best friend, but she is also friendly with everyone, and obsessed with twitter, even tweeting a picture of Mina running for the bus. When Mina is need of help, or just a friend, Nan is there, even listening to her crazy story about how she is a Grimm and has to finish a task that the Grimm brothers couldn't. I thought she was a great character because she knew how to laugh at herself, and her confidence could be beneficial to Mina. 

I'm still not sure what to think of Jared and Brody, because of the ending and how mysterious Jared can be. It was either Jared or Brody that would be there to save her whenever she was in any kind of distress. Brody has a great relationship with Mina and I truly liked it but I'm not sure if I rather her be with Jared yet, once I learn more about him in the next book I'll probably have an easier time picking. 

Overall this was a great read, and I'm very glad I read it. The author also has another free book out The Iron Butterfly, and I'll probably try to read that too, sometime in the near future. I can see the next book being better, and cannot wait for the third. 

Now that my review is finished you should really click the Barnes & Noble or Amazon link and read this book (:
Book Nerd and Proud, 
K.G. 

No comments:

Post a Comment